Friday 4 April 2014

Going Vertical with Shelving

In my urban gardening journey, I have been inspired by the many small garden blogs and websites that recommend vertical gardening. I did a lot of reading over at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com under their ‘gardening without a garden’ section, and discovered some some really useful tips!

I  researched small shelving and found a unit on clearance at IKEA (Galvanized Hyllis Shelving Unit) $15; definitely a deal! As it is galvanized, it’s suitable for non-acidic plants due to its highly reactive surface with acid. Tomatoes are a no-no! 
Vertical Shelf from IKEA Canada
My balcony measures 57” (145cm) by 79” (200cm). Since I have a bistro set that I want to use, space conservation is very important! Going vertical lets me get the most out of a small space both in terms of aesthetic as well as production.
This IKEA bistro set is similar to the one on our balcony.It's foldable so it can be moved or stored in the winter

No comments:

Post a Comment